Cooler Use and Care
Cooler Use and Cleaning Guide
To achieve maximum performance in your new RTIC cooler you must use it properly. Use plenty of ice and pre-chill the cooler and its contents before placing them in the cooler. We highly recommend using cubed ice.
Cooler Performance Guidelines
- For best performance, always pre-chill food and drinks.
- Put the ice in the cooler. Remember, cold air travels down, so if you want your beverages well chilled, load cans and bottles first, then cover with ice.
- Do not store cooler in hot locations. When storing cooler, avoid hot places such as the garage or the trunk of a car. If this is unavoidable, bring the cooler inside at least 24 hours before use. Do not place the cooler directly on a hot surface as this will melt the bottom of the cooler. For Example, place a towel beneath the cooler if placing the cooler on a hot surface like the back of a pick-up truck, on the top of a car or on the floor of your boat.
- Keep cooler out of the sun. Ice lasts up to twice as long when the cooler is in the shade.
- Choose cube or block ice. Use cube ice to quickly cool food and drinks, block ice to keep it cold longer.
- Don't drain the cold water. Recently melted ice keeps food and drinks cold. Melted ice water preserves ice better than empty air space.
- Close lid quickly after opening. Do not leave the lid open longer than necessary.
- Protect perishable foods. Place perishable foods like meat and dairy products directly on the ice. Sealed plastic containers will keep food dry.
- For soft coolers, keep the zipper clean and lubricated with the enclosed lubricant.
Cleaning Your Cooler
- Clean the inside and outside. Clean the inside with a solution of mild soap and warm water, especially before first use. To remove tough stains, use baking soda and water to clean the inside. Always clean after use, especially if used in salt water environment. Hand wash only.
- Remove odors with a diluted solution of chlorine bleach and water. If odor persists, wipe the interior with a cloth saturated with vanilla extract, then leave the cloth in the cooler overnight.
- Always air dry the cooler with the lid open before storing. This reduces the risk of mold and mildew growth.
- Keep your cooler away from open fires.
- Keep your cooler away from chemicals, acids and strong alkali.
- Do not drag your cooler on the ground.
- Do not keep your cooler in water for more than 4 hours.
- Your cooler may fade over time as its exposed to the UV rays of the sun. This is a normal part of the wearing process and will not affect performance.
- While using the cooler, do not leave the cooler directly on hot surfaces as this will impact the performance if the cooler and possibly melt the bottom if the cooler. Try placing a towel on the bottom of the cooler to separate it from direct contact with hot surfaces.
- Do not microwave.
- Do not wash in dish washer.
- Do not use boiling water to clean.
- More ice is better. We recommend filling your cooler with as much ice as possible. We suggest an ice-to-contents ratio of 2:1. Fill void space.
- Use well cured ice that is dry and colder than its freezing point.